CURRENT AFFAIRS 2017 FEB 3
1.The Specified Bank Notes (Cessation of Liabilities) Bill, 2017 was introduced in the Lok Sabha on February 3, 2017 by the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.The Bill provides for holding, transfer and receiving of old Rs 500 and Rs 1000 currency notes, which were demonetized after November 8, 2016, as a criminal offence and punishable with a minimum fine of Rs 10,000. It seeks to replace the ordinance on demonetization announced by the government in December 2016. Besides, any Ordinance passed by a government should be replaced by appropriate Bill within 42 days of commencement of a session otherwise it will lapse.
2. The Assam government on February 3, 2017 announced that it has decided to set up Anomaly Committee to address the grivances of the employees regarding implementation of 7th Pay Commission. The Commission met 107 organisations to take their views before submitting its report to the government. The Assam government has decided to implement the Pay Commission from April 2017.
3. The 19th edition of Bharat Rang Mahotsav or International Drama Festival of India kicked off on February 1, 2017 in New Delhi. The 21 days annual theatre festival will conclude on February 21, 2017 and would take place at five different cities including New Delhi, Kurukshetra, Pune, Agartala, Hyderabad and Patna during the course of time. The festival would see 94 performances from 12 Countries & 16 Indian States. It is the Asia’s biggest International theatre festival conducted by the National School of Drama. The festival aims to develop theater across the country.
4. The Centre of Integrative Oncology (CIO) was inaugurated by Dr. Saumya Swaminathan, Secretary, Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare & Director General, Indian Council for Medical Research and Shri Ajit M. Sharan, Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH at the National Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research (NICPR) at Noida on the 3rd February, 2017. The aim of the CIO is to build collaborations in the areas of cancer prevention, research and care in an integrated approach involving both modern and traditional medicine.
5 One of the India’s international border, 3,323-km-long India-Pakistan border runs through four states, Jammu and Kashmir , Rajasthan, Punjab and Gujarat .will have smart fencing soon said by Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju on February 3, 2017. The fencing method will have a multi-tier security system in case of any infiltration bid or attempts to cut the fence, security personnel will get an alarm.
6. Right to Information (RTI) Act has come into effect in Sri Lanka from February 3, 2017. RTI was one of the major announcements made by the present Sri Lankan government ahead of the 2015 election. RTI Commission which comprises of 5 persons namely Mahinda Gammanpila, Kishali Pinto-Jayawardena, S. G Punchihewa, Judge A. W. A. Salam and Dr. Selvy Thiruchandran , is vested with a variety of powers and is responsible for ensuring people can utilize the Right to Information effectively.
7. In the latest Global 500 rankings of most valuable and powerful brands across the globe, Sundar Pichai’s Google has surpassed Apple to achieve the top position. The Brand Finance Global 500 list published on February 2, 2017 had featured Apple as the top brand for continuous five years.This is for the first time since 2011 that Google has been placed at the top spot. The third place has been occupied by Amazon. The ranking is based upon factors such as marketing investment, familiarity, loyalty, staff satisfaction and corporate reputation.
8. As per the latest ICC Ranking of the Men’s batting, Virat Kohli is still on the top spot with 799 points. He is followed by Aaron Finch of Australia at second position with 771 points and Glenn Maxwell of Australia is third. Virat is ranked Second in Tests and Third in ODIs. This makes him the only Indian batsman to be raked in top five among all formats. Among the T20 Team Ranking, India stood at second spot with a rating of 124. New Zealand was first and West Indies at third.
9. Indian cueist Pankaj Advani clinched his 29th Indian National Snooker Championship title on February 2, 2017 at the PYC Hindu Gymkhana, Pune. The World Champion defeated Pandurangaiah of Railways 6-0 in a one-sided final. With this win, Advani has become the only Indian player to win all the national titles in both the long and short formats of snooker, 6-red Snooker and 15-red Snooker.
10. A team of Scientists from the United States and India in a study found that consuming litchi and then skipping the dinner can cause a very low blood glucose level, lower than 70 mg/dL, which may eventually lead to death especially in children. The study was published in the Journal Lancet Global Health. The group of scientist made the study after over 100 children from the northern India’s Muzaffarpur, Bihar died mysteriously after eating litchi’s and skipping the evening meal....