CURRENT AFFAIRS APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS (24.07.16)
Western Union appoints Sohini Rajola as new Vice-President for South Asia
American financial services company Western Union has appointed Sohini Rajola as Regional Vice President who will be responsible for managing and developing the Western Union business across India, .Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Maldives and Bhutan.
Prior to this appointment Rajola was the Senior Vice President at Axis Bank where she was responsible for designing and leading the digital strategy of the bank.
WORLD BANK GROUP
- President – Jin Yong Kim
- Establishment – 1945
- Associates – World Bank, IFC, IDA, MIGA, ICSID
- World Bank gets it New Chief Economist – Paul Romer
- World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim declared this appointment in this crucial time when the field of development is transforming under the forces of rapid technological change, globalization, and demography.
- This 60 years old Paul Romer replaced the retiring Kaushik Basu, a former Indian government economics adviser.
- Paul Romer is a advocator of “endogenous growth theory,” which envisages that investments in human capital, innovation and knowledge are significant contributors to the economic growth.
- New Chairman – Guruprasad Mohapatra
- Guruprasad Mohapatra sworn in as the new Chairman of the AAI – Airport Authority of India.
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) was constituted by an Act of Parliament and came into force on 1st April 1995 by merging National Airports Authority and International Airports Authority of India.
- AAI manages 125 airports, which includes 18 International Airport, 07 Customs Airports, 78 Domestic Airports and 26 Civil Enclaves at Defense airfields.
- It also provides air navigation services over 2.8 million square nautical miles of air space.
- He functioned as a Managing Director of Gujarat Alkalis and Chemicals Ltd (GACL), Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers Company Ltd (GNFC) and as Municipal Commissioner in Surat from 1999 to 2002.
- He also served as a Sales Tax department as Special Commissioner (Enforcement), and as a Commissioner of Commercial Taxes and as the Commissioner of Transport.